Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Yesterday's News Is Old Today

I'm pretty disappointed. A professor in one of my classes just gave us a lecture on race based entirely on statistics from 1973. THAT'S 34-YEAR-OLD DATA. As I sat there listening to him talk about how the statistics reflected recent trends in racist lending practices, I couldn't help but feel a bit embarrassed for him.

Folks, if you're gonna use data to persuade others, make sure it's new data. There's nothing more annoying than listening to an entire lecture under the explicit disclaimer of "Well, this isn't new data, but it's still happening, I assure you." If it is still happening (and I have no doubt that it is), then go out and find the data. It might ake you a few hours, but your point will be much more believable.

No comments: